April 26, 2004
FINALISTS SELECTED IN STATEWIDE COLLEGIATE ART COMPETITION
SPRINGFIELD - Thirty-eight student artists from throughout
Illinois have been chosen from more than 600 entries to vie for
prizes in the first Annual Collegiate Artists Competition. Winners
of four $1,000 purchase awards will be announced at the Awards Ceremony
and Reception to be held May 4 at the University Galleries at Illinois
The juried competition was sponsored by Governor Rod R. Blagojevich,
the Illinois Board of Higher Education, and the Illinois higher
education community. The reception honoring the finalists will feature
Brenda Holmes, the Governor's deputy chief of staff for education,
and Shirley Madigan, Chair of the Illinois Arts Council, keynoting
More than 260 undergraduate artists from large and small, two-year
and four-year, public and private colleges and universities entered
works in eight artistic categories. Entrants were entitled to submit
up to three entries. Finalists will have their works exhibited at
ISU's University Galleries from May 4 through July 3. Michael Dunbar,
coordinator of the Art-in-Architecture program at the Capital Development
Board, served as juror for the 2004 Annual Collegiate Artists Competition.
Purchase awards will be made to four artists whose work was judged
- The Governor's Medallion of Excellence
- The Illinois Board of Higher Education Prize
- The Illinois Community College Board Award
- The Federation of Independent Illinois Colleges and Universities
Purchase award winners will receive $1,000 each. All other finalists
will receive $250 each. The finalists for the 2004 Annual Collegiate
Artists Competition are:
- Sharon Anderson, McHenry County College, "Changing Personality,"
- Jasmine Blucas, Joliet Junior College, "Asian Still Life,"
- Christopher Bray, Morton College, "To What End," Photographic
emulsion on ceramic tile
- Sandra Burns, Southwestern Illinois College, "Heaven,"
- Freddy Bustamante, Robert Morris College, "Killing Time,"
- Anthony Cotta, Southern Illinois University-Carbondale, Untitled
- Roger Darrigrand, College of DuPage, "Bubble Gum,"
- Ian Duncan, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, "Red
- Michelle Fernandez, William Harper College, "Live Portrait,"
- John Flickinger, Lincoln Land Community College, "Self
Portrait #1," Acrylic on canvas
- Steven Foutch, Southern Illinois University-Carbondale, "Man
and Boy," Screen print & woodcut
- Scott Gamble, Southern Illinois University-Carbondale, "Cane
- Devin Gearing, Shawnee Community College, "As Evening Approaches,"
- Brian Goedde, Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville, "Brain
Scratch and Jupiter Jazz," Mixed media drawing on paper,
- Susanne Harmon, Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville, "Box
Set II," Ceramic, soda fired stoneware
- Melody Hauf, Principia College, "Studio 1," Ink
- Brandon Heuser, Northern Illinois University, "Night Light,"
- Bethany Huffman, Shawnee Community College, "First Kiss,"
- David Hyun, Parkland Community College, "Love," Limestone
- Michael Jansma, Illinois State University, "Implosion,"
- Cheng-Yung Kuo, South Suburban College, "Mix," Ceramics
- Elizabeth Marks, Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville,
- Alyce McQueen, Columbia College, "Don and Martha Farley,"
- Neal Meeker, Western Illinois University, Untitled, Acrylic
- Injung Oh, The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, "Recognition,"
- Whitney O'Connor, Quincy University, "Collograph2,"
- Dalila Perez, Morton College, "Flora," Prisma color
- Nathan Redwood, The School of the Art Institute of Chicago,
"The Traveler," Acrylic on canvas
- Ryan Rocha, Richland Community College, "Crouching Can
Hidden Can Opener," Kinetic/electronic media
- Jane Ryder, Bradley University, "It's Inevitable,"
- Alejandra Salaverria, Black Hawk College, "Stubborn,"
Painting, oil on paper
- Ryan Shultz, American Academy of Art, "Dawn's Hands,"
- Annie Siffermann, Illinois State University, "Sprawl of
an Ample Union," Acrylic ink, graphite
- Andrea Skeries, Westwood College of Technology, "Toys,"
- Kelly Stachura, The School of the Art Institute of Chicago,
"Visual Art: Rods and Cones" Fabric sculpture
- Debra Virgens, McHenry County College, "BAS 1 & 2,"
Paper, rubber cord, & linen thread
- Matt Wedel, The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Drawing,
- Alice Wells, The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Untitled,
RA-4 Photographic Print
The Awards Ceremony and Reception will be held from 6 to 9 p.m.
on Tuesday, May 4, at the University Galleries at Illinois State